Saturday, October 08, 2005

context zombies and giant wooden robots

Okay, everyone should have seen that 'Shining recut as a chick flick' trailer thing by now.

But have you seen the other trailer from the same project? Looks at first glance like a high-speed zombie movie, but if you can guess the actual film in less than ten seconds, you may award yourself a mini-mars bar, or piece of fruit of equivalent size.

UPDATE: But not if you look at the filename, which would give it away rather. I agree too, they lost marks by putting on glowing eyes, making it a B+ rather than an A.

From making light

Also, from the ever reliable screenhead, what happens when rival viking soundsystems clash. The fact that I never thought of a Viking/Transformer crossover has me kicking myself.*

Back from St. Ives, where on the last day, I was shat on by a seagull. Only a bit, and I think it was rather affectionately done, to be honest. Nearly finished the book now, probably just a couple of days finishing the last chapter or so, but the seagull thing is of greater interest, I suspect. I was going to hang on for a couple more days, but the security light opposite the flat ('securing' a shop that sold only frying pans and fishing rods, which makes sense I suppose) was misfiring, and the strip of extra window high up in the wall that couldn't be closed off meant for a series of nights sleep best described as 'not great'. Also. people travelled all the way from the South-East to argue outside said window late at night. Every morning I would stumble out, sleepy-eyed, tripping over bits of thrown pasty and dropped 't's. Gah.

I'm such a moaner - I had a great time, and it's a brilliant way of getting a book finished. Cold turkey from broadband had an interesting effect as well: played half an hour of World of Warcraft, only to say to myself 'But... this is just a game! It doesn't mean a thing!' So I read a book instead.***


And for ye of little faith, here's the bbc link to the crocodile story. Mere words cannot express my joy at the statement that 'according to experts' the 2ft caiman is 'probably an unwanted pet'. As opposed to... actually I genuinely can't figure out what else it could possibly be. And what experts? Crocodile experts? Things-in-the-wrong-place experts? Handy when you've lost your car keys. 'Where did I - well, over there, obviously'.

UPDATE 2;

seagull
Originally uploaded by jamesandthebluecat.

I bet it was this one that shat on me mere minutes after I took this pic. You can tell by the look on his face....






*With a small plastic leg with one wheel on it, obviously. That I can't work out how to restore to its proper position without breaking.**

** Transformer humour. Jesus.

*** Admittedly the book in question was the Monsternomicon supplement for the Iron Kingdoms sourcebook for the V3.5 edition of D&D, but the thought was there. And when I was away I read the Pursuit of Love and listened to the Balanescu Quartet, so leave it.

7 comments:

Dave said...

"'probably an unwanted pet'. As opposed to..." a wild crocodile, transported across the Atlantic by the Gulf Stream (riding on the back of a log, obviously) fortuitously washed up in Cornwall.

Stef the engineer said...

"Shining" wins my award for 'best use of "Salisbury Hill" in a comedy spoof trailer.'

Anyway, must get out and feed the crocodile. That fence is a bit dodgy; one of these days it'll escape if I'm not careful...

Matt said...

if you ask me, turning the Shining into a chick flick is just sacrilege...

i did like the West Side Story one though. possibly cos i hate WSS, but like zombie movies...

oh, and they cheated on the Shining one too. they added the line 'im your new foster father' which im pretty sure was never in the film....

Mummy/Crit said...

Yeah, maybe...sorry for being an urban legend bore, but only today I heard yet another "gippsland puma story" on the ABC. They will keep on pretending it's news...I will now dutifully go to the BBC website. Gives me another excuse to check out the 'spooks' site

Anonymous said...

Is it me or do all Seagulls have that look on their faces all the time?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, the viking soundclash made me so happy when yesterday I perched painfully at the computer with a bad case of ouchy house-moving muscles. So thank you, it raised my spirits enough to go and play pirates in the bath, which helped the aching limbs bo end.

Kt said...

Speaking of zombies - have you seen these guys?